Friday, November 25, 2011

Giving back.

This holiday I got to thinking... what am I doing to give back? Grant and I do our usually charities, and ones that come along the way.... but, what are we doing for families in need right now? What am I being called to do for other families in need?

The other day I was driving, and I came to a light and gave a man money. He said God bless you to me as I gave him money. His sign said, "hungry, please help". I know that there are LOTS of people out there that have signs and reasons, but I felt for this person. I got tears in my eyes. I have lots of food, a nice car, a warm home, people I love, and that love me, etc. I always have a home to go to. Then I started thinking... what are the families that are having a hard time getting by going to do for food this holiday season? I began to sob. My heart breaks for the people that are working so very hard in this world and still not making ends meet. I knew I needed to do something.

I called my church on Wednesday. How can I help? Can I help at the pantry give away? Can I donate a meal to a family... But, I was too late. The meals were already collected and passed out. This was NOT good enough for me. I called another church. A church closer to my home and asked how I could help. Same answer. No one was present, and the food was already donated.

I began to think. Then it dawned on me. Rescue Missions! Women's shelters! I called the Long Beach Rescue Mission. They said that they were serving dinner the night before Thanksgiving, and serving a breakfast on Thanksgiving. The dinner would be served at 3pm. I didn't have enough time to get a whole dinner to the mission in time so I decided to supply a breakfast.

I went to my local grocery store where I bought my makings for our Thanksgiving dinner and picked up breakfast makings. This was the least I could do!

I donated 5 dozen eggs, 4 boxes of pancake mix, milk, and orange juice. I know it can't feed an entire city... but, I know this will help many families! I also dropped off clothes, a baby bath, baby blankets, and much more to the Lydia house. The women's shelter.

As I pulled up there was a line around the corner. People waiting in line for there Thanksgiving meal. I began to cry. I began to thank God for all that I have. I'm so lucky. I made a vow to myself right then and there. I told myself that EVERY holiday I would do for either my church or mission. I have donated food, school supplies, clothes, etc... but, never have I gone to a home and dropped it off. Jake was with me. He of course had no idea what was going on... but, I will make sure my boys go with me. They will see how to help others and to be thankful. The people thanked me. It took everything in me to not cry in front of them. They kept saying, "God bless you", but I said it right back. I will be praying for those people.

This Christmas I will be in Boise. I am calling our pastor to see how I can help there. Whether I work at a shelter, or supply food. I will be doing something.

I pray that other's donate time or food if possible. I encourage you to do more.

This year, Grant ran the Turkey Trot here in Long Beach (Jake and I went along for support... and of course Grant ran is pretty darn quick without even training), went to a local restaurant for breakfast, and then I made our Thanksgiving fest while Grant played with Jake. It was relaxing, and one of the most fun holidays! I love my little family! Later my brother and his wife came over and we had dessert. Lots of pies, cookies, and ice cream. It was very nice to see them. Ashley is due with their first baby girl this December. Madison will be the first girl grandchild, and my grandma's first great granddaughter! So cool, right?

Tonight we are having a friends dinner. I'm so thankful for the people that surround us!

Here is my little man on Thanksgiving (It's so hard to get a picture of him nowadays):

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs