Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Vaccines!

Ever heard of whooping cough? 

Guess what folks... it's on the rise again! It's all over the news in California as a pandemic!

The CDC describes the following:

Whooping cough — known medically as pertussis — is a highly contagious respiratory tract infection. Although it initially resembles an ordinary cold, whooping cough may eventually turn more serious, particularly in infants. Whooping cough is most contagious before the coughing starts. The best way to prevent it is through vaccinations. The childhood vaccine is called DTaP. The whooping cough booster vaccine for adolescents and adults is called Tdap. Both protect against whooping cough, tetanus, and diphtheria.

CDC on Pertussis (click for more information)

Choc Hospital (click to see the latest report of the disease on the rise locally in Orange County).

My doctor called me personally and said that I will get this shot postpartum and that it's a must for anyone staying with us or visiting the baby to get this shot as well! Grant will be getting this shot in the next few weeks from our primary care provider! I'm asking that anyone staying with us or visiting with our newborn baby get this vaccine as well. I need to protect our baby, and my doctor has suggested this for all visitors.

Call me paranoid, but being a first time mom I'm not taking any chances... and why not get vaccinated to protect yourself anyhow? The CDC says even if you were vaccinated as a child you should get re vaccinated. The news has been covering this topic lately and it's all over California. I just called my mom and grandma and told them they have to get the shot so they can protect themselves as well as Jake. And my beautiful best friends have already said they're getting the shot as well! :)

You can get this shot at your doctor or call ahead to find out where to get the vaccine.


Diphtheria, Tetanus, and Pertussis Vaccines (DTP)

Love,
The paranoid mommy!

3 comments:

  1. You are not really being paranoid because it is on the rise. Of course, it is being talked about more because pharamaceutical companies always want to make money selling their drugs, but it is better to be safe than sorry. At the same time, you have to take it all as common sense. The reason you should get it is because babies don't get it right when they are born. It is not that big of a deal if you aren't taking your baby out right away, but like many people I have seen, they are taking their babies out to restaurants when they are one and two weeks old. Think about it...back in the day, people were told not to take babies out for at least 3 wks. Why? Because babies didn't have vaccines right away. So why now do people think it's okay to take newborns to the grocery store, restaurants, and even amusement parks? (Ugh...biggest pet peeve!) I didn't get it with Addison but would in the future because I don't trust other people. Luckily, Addison still has never been sick (praise God), but it is better to be cautious! Do what you think is right and use common sense! You are not paranoid...other people are not paranoid enough! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No! Not paranoia!!! I call this good-mommy-ing :) As a professional who works with young children, I've actually been following this closely, The medical community reports that there have been over 1500 infants diagnosed in what they are considering "the worst outbreak in fifty years". A Whooping Cough Epidemic has been declared in the state of California this month and it is believed the rise is due to sporadic vaccination practices. All of my friends who are new parents have gotten this vaccine upon their doctors advice so it isn't just your MD either.

    Do what your heart tells you to do to protect Jake and the rest of us will continue to send lots of love and prayers his way! :) I have no problem with getting a little shot if it keeps my friends and family safer :)

    Much love to the Stones :) xo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear ya girlie! When I was pregnant and after Liam was born it was all about the Swin Flu!!! I would seriously send anyone home who came into the office sick.... either that, or I would leave! The best thing you can do is to be protected and educated, which sounds like you are! :)

    ReplyDelete

 
site design by designer blogs