Thursday, April 5, 2012

6 week doctor check up.

This doctor check up was mine this time...

I went in for my 6 week postpartum appointment. Looks like all is well. I have healed nicely. Since I went into labor before my doctor could get to the hospital, another doctor in her practice delivered Asher. Everything went so fast that evening, that I was left with some questions. I really didn't know why they used the vacuum extraction to delivery Ash. That was one of the questions I wanted an answer for.

Turns out Asher's heart rate dropped while I was pushing so they decided to use the vacuum rather than jump to a c section... especially since I was a VBAC. Asher was NOT in danger, but they didn't want his heart rate to drop any further. He was face up (occiput posterior) which was a little more challenging for a quick delivery. If he would have been face down, he probably would have come out a lot quicker, and they wouldn't have had to use the vacuum. Funny to say he would have come quicker when I had him within 4 hours of getting admitted! ha! They only allow 3 "pop offs" as well. That means that the vacuum pops off of the babies head while pushing. I was on my 3rd pop off and then they were going to look into the c section. I wasn't going to go through all of that to end in a c section! He came right in time! :)

Anyhow, I'm glad I asked the questions that were on my mind. I still believe a vaginal birth is the way to go if you can help it. I also encourage any woman that wants a VBAC to talk to their doctor to see if they are a candidate, and if they are... try!

I'm excited to start exercising! I am going to be entering two 5k's to support two of my closest friends. Looks like I better start picking up the running bug! I LOVE to spin... but, need to start running... any advice?

I will post blogs on the boys this week. Jake is 19 months now (April 1), and Asher is 6 weeks tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs