Monday, September 6, 2010

Introducing... Jake Bowman Stone

Nothing in life ever goes as planned, right? Well, I believe this to be true. I also believe that Jake has his own little personality and has a mind of his own already and will do just what he wants... With that said... I would like to introduce Jake Bowman Stone!

(I woke up that morning and realized that I hadn't taken a picture of my baby bump in weeks! So... Here is my last photo of my pregnant belly on 9-1-2010 : 38 weeks and 6 days)

Wednesday was going to be a busy day. Grant took the day off since we had lots to get done. We ran errands in the morning, and then we went to Long Beach Memorial for our pre-op appointment. We were at the hospital for quite awhile... about 3 hours getting blood work done, urine tests, and then signing papers. I made several jokes that I should just have the baby then and there since I was at the hospital. But, I also had to get my hair done (who doesn't get there hair done before surgery?). I had a hair appointment at 2pm. Katy met me at the salon so that we could catch up! Katy, hair, feet up (they were the most swollen I had ever seen), and a coffee bean in hand! I remember telling her... that if I was having this baby naturally he would be coming early. I just had the feeling! I guess when you know you know! I left the salon all ready for Grant's and my last dinner as a family of 2.

5:15pm: I got home from my hair appointment and went to the bathroom.... I was trying to get ready for dinner and also getting the last minute laundry together, and finalizing packing our bags. My uncle Phil and my cousins were on their way over to give us a gift they had bought for Jake. I went upstairs to change and had to use the restroom again. After I got done with the restroom I noticed water dripping down my leg (sorry for that TMI). I went into my bedroom and changed. After I changed I grabbed some laundry and headed down the stairs. I threw some laundry in the machine and sat down at the dinning room. All of a sudden I felt a gush. I looked up and heard Grant talking to a co-worker, and I yelled out... "you might need to get off the phone for this one." Grant came over and I stood up... I took off my pants, showed him the wet spot and said, "my water broke"! Grant and I just looked at each other and stared! We couldn't believe it was happening! I went upstairs and heard the doorbell ring. It was my uncle and cousins.

5:22pm: Grant called our doctor and said my water had broken. She told Grant she would head on in to the hospital to meet us! Grant proceeded to call his family and friends while I changed again. I called Katy and told her the news! I of course called all of my immediate family members and went downstairs. My uncle and the boys jumped back in their car and went to the hospital. Grant gathered all of our suitcases, boppy's, snacks for the nurses, etc and we jumped into our car.

5:30pm: On way to hospital. We were shocked, and excited! I just couldn't believe I was about to be a mom. I started crying. I was so overwhelmed with emotions. I couldn't be happier and excited, but scared about the cesarean and the recovery. On the way to the hospital Dr. Woodson sent me a text message on our way to the hospital. I wanted to share that text:
"When you arrive the nurses will put you on the monitor, do a vaginal exam to confirm that your water broke, and then will get you ready for surgery. There is currently a c-section going on now. We will follow... can't wait to see baby Jake. He marches to his own beat this one... obviously calling the shots from the beginning. See you soon."
Grant and my cousins

Grant and our doctor
Pretty sure I was the complainer about not having the birth experience... The "honey my water broke"... Guess what folks... I HAD IT! I got to the hospital and was immediately taken to triage. While getting examined I had a few visitors. My brother Marty, his wife Ashley, my uncle Phil, my aunt Audrey, 2 cousins (Bryan and Mitchell), Katy, Donnie, and Matt. They checked me...water definitely broken, contractions in tow, IV in place.... IT WAS GO TIME.

They wheeled me out of the room where I said my quick goodbye's. I got into the surgery room and they administered the spinal (that was fun... NOT). They laid me down and I just waited. I got numb and then Grant appeared. I was so scared! He walked in and sat down next to me. He said I was all business. I looked at him. We prayed and I said talk to me to distract me. He was distracted so I had to lead him in questions at first. The next thing you know I felt lots of tugs and baby Jake was born. 


7 LBS 1 OZ 19.5 INCHES

Grant cutting the cord:

Jake's feet:

Father and son:

Right after I got out of recovery. Not my finest picture... but, it's a picture of my son and I.

Jake on his actual c-section due date (9-2). His 1st day and a few visitors:

In his car seat... all ready to head home! 

Overall, the cesarean wasn't as terrible as I imagined. My doctor really does rock! I'm grateful that she was there this entire journey of becoming a parent and for being there for my surgery! The whole process actually went by fast. From the moment my water broke at 5:15pm, till having the surgery (Jake was born at 7:57pm) it actually seemed to have flown by. I was in recovery for quite awhile, but Grant was able to join me after he went with Jake to the nursery for tests, weigh ins, and a bath. Grant was able to have skin on skin time with Jake (about 45 minutes) as well. That was a very big deal for me... as well as, I don't want Jake to have a bottle. He will be a breast fed baby only. The nurses thought Grant was adorable of course. Grant came in and saw me in recovery and showed me pictures of our son. I was so so so happy! Our son is perfect! I couldn't be happier. I feel like the Lord has blessed us with so many things. I am forever grateful for our gift of life. :)

Hope you enjoyed our story. We're back at home and trying to get into the swing of things. My parents flew into town this Saturday and have been so helpful! I'm pretty darn lucky to have a house full of loved ones... including OUR NEW SON! :) 

Love and cheers,


  1. so so great! thanks for letting us in on your journey to parenthood :)
    and of course Jake was born on the 1st instead... he was thinking, "Hey, I'm a Spellman-Stone. I'm #1!"

  2. That is so awesome! I bet Grant was so excited to give Jake his first bath. I know Carlos loved that he was able to do that! I love his carseat picture! Those are always my fave. Isn't it funny how you truly cannot put into words the experience of becoming a mother? You can tell the story, and trust me, you will be doing it over and over again and loving every minute of telling it, but you really can't put into words how your life is absolutely changed forever. Congrats again!

  3. Congratulations, I am so excited for you and your family. The rest of your lives will never be the same it will be even better :) I am so glad your mom is with you now, it is so special to share these moments with those you love. Take Care and I look forward to meeting the newest Stone in the months ahead. Big hugs to you!!

  4. What a fun story and exciting way to welcome the newest Stone! The only thing I am having an issue with is the fact that you look beautiful post C-section and I am completely jealous! :) J/K He is absolutely perfect and precious and I know you are crazy in love already! Hope to meet him before he gets too big! Congrats again! Love and hugs from OK!!

  5. I loved reading your story! I laughed at the part when your water broke and you and Grant stared at each other...just picturing it. Congratulations and WELCOME baby Jake! He is so loved!

  6. Congratulations to you all!! Jake is adorable and I can't wait to see pics as he grows ;) Our baby girl, Samantha, was born only 10 days before Jake . . .also via c-section (surprise, she was breech). Anyway, from one new mom to anther . . . Congratulations and God Bless!!


site design by designer blogs