Saturday, July 21, 2012

Asher 21 weeks - rice cereal.

Last night my little man had rice cereal for the first time.

It's funny the things you learn or are told... and what you take away from it. A really nice thing about having kids close in age, is that your memory is fresh. Fresh with children things... let's get that straight. I can't even remember what I had for dinner. But, I can tell you just about anything in regards to my kids. Life of a mother I guess. 

Anyhow, with Jake I started rice cereal in a bottle of breast milk at 3 1/2 months. I didn't see much of a difference in his sleep pattern, so I backed off. I started back up with feeding it to him with a spoon when he was 4 1/2 months. And then at 5 months I started veggies. One veggie a week, until I moved on to fruit. Then I did rice cereal/oatmeal, veggies, and fruits in a day. Phew. Glad I blogged all about it. I made all of Jake's food, unless we were traveling. It was so fun to go to the Farmer's Market, and then come home to make creations. So healthy too! Yes, it is time consuming... but, I know what he's eating, and know what's added, and it's even taster. I know... I tried it all. I can plan it out and keep it in the freezer or refrigerator. 

What the doctors told me to do with Jake and Asher...

Nothing but breast milk until he's 6 months old. Then start rice cereal, veggies, fruit, and then combo.

I already said what I did with Jake, and this is what I'm going to do with Asher... 

I'm taking what I want and doing what works for us. The doctor told me with both kids that I'm technically supposed to wait until they are 6 months, but 5 months would be OK. With rice cereal it's more to give babies or infants extra calories, and then to also teach them how to eat the food, and swallow. 

I've decided that Asher is ready. He's fully playing in both of his bouncers, rolling, and sitting up assisted. He's hungry. He's ready. So there. Done.

He did great last night. At first he wasn't sure about it... then he quickly realized it was food. He ate it! He thought it was OK. I can't wait to start him on something new next week! He's going to love veggies! I know Jake did. Who knows... maybe Jake will want some! I can't soften some for him... and puree for Ash. Done. he he. If only! ;)

Here's how it went down. I think it was pretty successful! I didn't see a huge change in his sleeping pattern. But, he is however sleeping in his crib for all of his naps during the day... without a fight or cry it out session. Phew!
 Thinking about it...
 Not bad! Let's have some more!
Have a great weekend friends! 

1 comment:

  1. Hi I am your newest follower from the Give it to me Monday Hop and really like your blog. You were lucky with the Rive Cereal because most babies do not transition to fool easily, but your boy look like a real trooper.
    Hope you follow back.
    Jillian
    http://puzzlemecomplete.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

 
site design by designer blogs