Saturday, January 23, 2010

STORM WATCH 2010?!

I love when it sprinkles in California and all the newscasters call it "Storm watch". I must clarify a few things to my friends that don't live or have never lived in California to what that means...

1. We are a fire state. We have fires all summer long. And when it starts to rain homes slide down the hills the live on and debris flows down the hills causing damages to homes as well.
2. We are obviously NOT equipped to handle down pours because in a lot of cities, oh say for example Belmont Shore (where Grant and I live), our rain gutters are so tiny they clog up and our streets flood.
3. When it doesn't rain for a long period of time... The roads build up an oily compound that becomes very slick when wet. Now, California drivers are not used to any conditions other than 72 degrees and dry roads... So, with that said... slick roads and fast agressive drivers tend to get in horrific traffic accidents.
4. Tornados in CA? And not just in the middle of nowhere... in the beach cities! We had at least 3 tornados that actually did some damage. The funny thing is that I got calls from so many people worried about my house and making sure I was in doors. I had to laugh. The funny this is that Grant grew up in Tulsa, Oklahoma (also known as tornado alley)... and when I told him he was hysterically laughing! Needless to say they touched down in Huntington Beach, Sunset Beach, and Ventura. Mainly flipped a few cars, pulled trees out of the ground, and lastly did wind damage to some homes.

Below are pictures outside our house... This was the first day of the storm and about 2 hours into it. I only took a few pictures... But, this should give you a good idea of just how crazy things got and why people actually had a reason to call this a "Storm watch".





1 comment:

  1. Wow.. that is a lot of water. I am sure you and Grant are excited for the beautiful sun this week. May you have a fantastic day and let me know when we can get together again in February. Perhaps the 8th, 9th, 15th or 22nd. Big hugs!! Summer

    ReplyDelete

 
site design by designer blogs